Claiming social work fees as a medical benefits/tax deduction:

  • Adoption practitioners in Ontario are required to have a Masters degree in social work (MSW) and be a Registered Social Worker (RSW). If you have supplemental medical insurance, check with your provider to see if you have coverage for the services of a MSW, RSW.

  • Social work services can be claimed as a medical expense on your annual tax return.  

  • Adoption services may be claimed as an income tax deduction during the year in which a family adopts a child. For the 2020 taxation year, the maximum amount of eligible expenses for the Adoption Expense Tax Credit is $16,563 per child.

Learn more about parental leave for adoptive parents: Parental Leave in Ontario

Adoption Grants: Some employers offer their employees additional benefits during or following the adoption process.  Check with your organization's HR department to see if you qualify.

Targetted Subsidies Policy Directive: The Ontario Association of Children's Aid Societies offer subsidies to families adopting a child over the age ten or sibling groups. Contact your local CAS for more information.

Pre- and post-adoption medical assessments (for international adoptions) are available at St. Michael's Hospital through the Immigrant Health and Infectious Disease Clinic: click here for more information.